Prowl is the Growl client for iOS. Push to your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad notifications from a Mac or Windows computer, or from a multitude of apps and services. Easily integrate the Prowl API into your applications.
Prowl isn't freeware, you need to purchase the Prowl application for your iPhone, iPod Touch and/or iPad devices
Requirements¶Prowl has the following requirements:
- DomotiGa 1.0.007 (revision 1293) or higher
- DomotiGa has an internet connection
- Prowl API Key, this one can be created/requested in the following steps
- Prowl installed on your iPhone, iPod Touch and/or iPad. The exact name in the App Store is "Prowl: Growl Client". The App can be downloaded here
Prowl API Key¶
To use the Prowl notification, an API key is required. This section will describe how to register yourself and request a free API key for your notifications. Go to the following website: http://www.prowlapp.com
1. This will show you the following web page. Now you need to first register before you can get generate an API key, click on the register link.
2. After you clicked on the register link, then the website will show you the following web page. Here you can register for a free Prowl account and supply your username, password an email address.
3. Supply an unique username, password and email address. In the following example the username is DomotiGa. When finished, click on the bottom “register” button.
4. If your supplied information is correct, it will show you the following web page. In this example the username DomotiGa is successfully registered. Now you should login, click on the “login” link.
5. Now login in with your credentials, supplied during register and click on the bottom login button.
6. If the credentials are correct, the following web page is shown and you're logged in. Now click on the API Keys tab to create your Prowl API key.
7. After clicking on the API Keys tab, the following web page is shown. At this moment you don't have an API key yet (the counter is on 0 API keys). To create a new API key, click on the bottom Generate Key button.
8. After you clicked on the Generate Key button the following web page is shown, with your just generated API key. This API key is a 40-byte hexadecimal string.
Copy or write down the generate Prowl API key, this is required to be configured in DomotiGa.
1. After you registered an account and generated an API key, you can configure this API key in DomotiGa. Start the DomotiGa GUI and go to the Prowl module. This module is located in the top menu bar, click on Modules => Notifiers => Prowl. This will give you the following screen. By default the module is disabled, click on the Module Enabled option to enable it now.
2. After the module is enabled, you can configure your Prowl API key. This is the 40-byte hexadecimal string from the Prowl website. Supply this key in the Prowl API key input field.
3. Additionally you can configure the Application and Event input fields. These fields are mandatory for the Prowl notification. In the example below the Application field is Adium and the Event field is Jackie Balzer. The rest of the text is the message.
4. Before you click on the Save button it is highly recommended to execute the Validate API key and Send Message. If both are successful then you know it has been setup and is working.
When you click on the Validate API key button and your key is valid, you will see the following message on your screen. If you get an invalid message, please check your API key and retry.
5. When you click on Send Message and if they key is valid and is accepted by the Prowl site, you will get the following message on your screen. Check your Prowl application on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad if the message is successfully received. The message text will be "Test message from DomotiGa :-)”.
Now Prowl is successfully setup and please click on the Save button to save your Prowl settings.
1. After the Prowl module has been setup you can use the Prowl as a DomotiGa action in an event to send messages. To create a new action go top menu bar, click on Events => Add Action. This will give you the following screen.
2. Click on the Action Type and select the Send Prowl from the list. Supply the other information like Name, Description and the Message and click on the Save button.
Now you can use this action in your events. You can define as many different Prowl notification messages as you want.
The following Frequently Asked Questions should give you answers to most common questions or problems.
Q: Where can I find more information and help about Prowl
A: For more help go to the Prowl website: http://www.prowlapp.com/support.php
Q: I get the message “Prowl API key INVALID”
A: Most likely the supplied API key is incorrectly copy-pasted or typed-over from the Prowl website, but in the message is exact error message from the Prowl website.
Q: I get the message “Failed to send Prowl message”
A: Most likely the supplied API key is incorrectly, but in the message is exact error message from the Prowl website.
Q: No message is received on device # 1
A: There are multiple reasons why no notification message is received on your device. First check if your Prowl module is enabled and configured properly, for more information enable the “debug” option in the Prowl Module. Secondly check if the action is setup properly and assigned to an event. For more information enable the “debug” for events in “Setup => Main => Debug => Events”.
Q: No message is received on device # 2
_A: Prowl only allows a 1000 Prowl notification per hour from the same IP address. There is a slight possibility if you make a configuration mistake you hit this limitation, fix your mistake and wait 1 hour before you retry. _