Simple mobile notifications. Pushover makes it easy to send real-time notifications to your Android and iOS devices.
Pushover isn't freeware, you need to purchase the Pushover application for your Android or iOS device
Requirements¶Pushover has the following requirements:
- DomotiGa 1.0.007 (revision 1293) or higher
- DomotiGa has an internet connection
- Pushover API Token and User Key, this one can be created/requested in the following steps
- Pushover installed on your Android or iOS device. The exact name in the App Store is "Pushover Notification". The iOS App can be downloaded here
Pushover API Token and User Key¶
To use the Pushover notification, 2 items are required, they are API Token/Key and User Key. This section will describe how to register yourself and request both free keys. Go to the following website: http://www.pushover.net
1. This will show you the following web page. Now you need to first register before you can get generate both keys, click on the Login or Signup link.
2. After you clicked on the Login or Signup link, then the website will show you the following web page (scroll down to the Signup section). Here you can register for a free Pushover account and supply your email address and password. In the following example the email address is email@example.com. When finished, click on the bottom Signup button.
3. After you clicked on Signup you will re-directed to the main web page again. Now check your email account for the Pushover email, because you need to validate your email address. After you received the email and clicked on the link, you can go for the login option.
4. If your supplied information is correct, it will show you the following web page. In this example the free account is successfully registered and you have your User Key, which is a 30 character string. Now click on the Create one link at the bottom of the page to create your required application.
5. The next step is to create your own application, this can be any name and it isn't linked to DomotiGa. Just be creative with the name :-) The following web page shows the example how to create an application. After you finished, click on the Create Application button. Don't forget to tick the checkbox.
6. After you clicked on the “Create Application” button the following web page is shown, with your just generated API Token. This API Token is a 30 characters string.
7. Scroll down to the bottom of the web page and click on the Save Changes button to complete your application.
8. After you clicked on the save changes, the web site will show you the following web page (again with your API Token). Notice also that you have a maximum of 7,500 notification per month. If you require more notification, you can purchase them.
Copy or write down the generated Pushover API Token and User Key, these are required to be configured in DomotiGa.
Pushover works slightly different then the other notification services. To validate and /or use Pushover you need to have the application installed and running on your device. The application will register itself then to your account and is shown on your page. The instructions how to installation the application on your Android or iOS device can be found on the following link: https://pushover.net/clients
Until you complete this part, your page will show no devices as schown in the next example. Also any validation of the API Token/User Key will fail, including sending of notifications.
1. After you registered an account and generated an API Token and User Key, you can configure these in DomotiGa. Start the DomotiGa GUI and go to the Pushover module. This module is located in the top menu bar, click on Modules => Notifiers => Pushover. This will give you the following screen. By default the module is disabled, click on the Module Enabled option to enable it now.
2. After the module is enabled, you can configure your API Token and User Key. These are both 30-character string from the Pushover website. Supply them in the Pushover API Token and Pushover User Key input fields.
3. Additionally you can configure the “Device” input field to send it to only one of your registered devices. If you leave this field blank (default), then the notification will be send to all your registered devices.
4. Before you click on the “Save” button it is highly recommended to execute the Validate Token/User and Send Message. If both are successful then you know it has been setup and is working.
When you click on the Validate Token/User button and if your key is valid, you will get the message that the API Token and User Key are valid. If you didn't register your device, you will get the following message on your screen. This is still fine and you can continue (but don't forget to register you device!).
5. The same applies for Test Message, the following message on your screen is still fine, because no device is registered. If your device is registered, then check your device if the message is successfully received. The message text will be Test message from DomotiGa :-).
Now Pushover is successfully setup and please click on the Save button to save your Pushover settings.
1. After the Pushover module has been setup you can use the Pushover as a DomotiGa action in an event to send messages. To create a new action go top menu bar, click on Events => Add Action. This will give you the following screen.
2. Click on the Action Type and select the Send Pushover from the list. Supply the other information like Name, Description and the Message and click on the Save button.
Now you can use this action in your events. You can define as many different Pushover notification messages as you want.
Send global variables and device values¶
Pushover can not only send text, but also DomotiGa system information as in variables and device values.
Insert the required reference in your Pushover text the following way:
• a variable name: <%global var%> - insert globalvar value
• a device value (by device name): <#device name|field#> - insert value field number 'field' from device with name 'device name'
• a device value (by device ID): <$device id|field$> - insert value field number 'field' from device with 'device id'
The following Frequently Asked Questions should give you answers to most common questions or problems.
Q: Where can I find more information and help about Pushover
A: For more help go to the Pushover website: http://www.pushover.net/FAQ
Q: I get the message "Pushover Token/User INVALID"
A: Most likely the supplied API Token or User Key is incorrectly copy-pasted or typed-over from the Pushover website, but in the message is exact error message from the Pushover website. If you didn't register a device, you will also get an invalid message.
Q: I get the message “Failed to send Pushover message”
A: Most likely the supplied API Token or User Key is incorrectly, but in the message is exact error message from the Pushover website. If you didn't register a device, you will also get an invalid message.